This project had been conceived during 2000 as a small addition
to the existing Grey-Owen Sound Museum and transformed,
eventually, into the current 38,000 main building with a
new 20-acre site. The new building incorporates rural themes,
locally harvested maple hardwood and cedar softwood,
salvaged timber and Grey County stone for floors and walls.
The building houses the permanent collection within a new
racked storage system together with a publically accessible
archive with a reading room. Temporary exhibit rooms are designed
to conjoin with adjacent rooms to permit the installation of large
traveling exhibits. Smaller venues are created by closing
large sliding door panels.
In addition, the County had planned to develop a period village
using reconstructed buildings and this work had commenced during 2006.
G. M. Diemert Architect Inc. continues to provide architectural services
for this recreated village including design of the School House
and the Band Stand. A barn, farm house from the 1920’s period,
blacksmith shop, repair garage and a saw mill had been
previously recreated by the County and relocated to the site.
The historic story of settlement within Grey County is
rounded out by two log cabins dating from the 1850’s.
The site had been planned during the conceptual design
period in order to capitalize on local trails, distant views
of Georgian Bay and to accommodate special services including
a stored water supply for fire fighting and ground source heating loops.
The 60,000-gallon water supply tank is buried into a hillside
and while designed to supply water to fire fighters and the building’s
sprinkler system, it is also utilized as a heat sink for the earth
energy system. The geothermal energy system is used to heat the foyer
floor and the entire perimeter of the building through means of
Ice Kube heat pumps that would traditionally be utilized to
make ice for skating rinks.
The conceptual exhibit design was developed jointly by Apropos Planning
- Interpretive Planners, Design + Communication Inc. of Montreal and
G. M. Diemert, Architect Inc. The architect also coordinated the
installation of all of the permanent requirements for the exhibits,
the theatre and the temporary exhibit rooms to ensure the precise
placement of electrical and communication devices and that
future expansion of these facilities can be achieved.
The architect also selected all furnishings and the archive and
artifact storage systems. G. M. Diemert, Architect Inc.
also provided all interior design services including all
the design of all foyer, café and gift shop custom cabinetry.